CABBAGE on Steam only: same PC, same network, same Bungie account works fine on Epic
Hi everyone <3
This is a follow-up to my earlier thread, where I first described the problem and got a reply from BNGHelp3: [url]https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/265351895?page=0&sort=0&showBanned=0&path=1[/url]
I replied there with new findings but haven't had a response since BNGHelp3's first reply, so I'm posting again in case someone has seen this pattern. I now have much clearer evidence than in my first post.
[b]A BIT ABOUT ME[/b]
I'm a returning player. I spent a few years away from Destiny, and I came back because I really want to experience the game again. All of my DLC is on Steam, and I want to play it there with my friends. Right now I can't get past the first hurdle, and I honestly cannot work out why. I'd really appreciate any help in getting back in.
[b]THE KEY FINDING[/b]
Destiny 2 works perfectly on Epic on my PC, but fails on Steam on the very same machine.
I installed Destiny 2 from the Epic Games Store on the same PC, with the same Windows install, the same network and the same router. On Epic it loads, and I can enter the Tower and play without any problem. On Steam, the same PC fails every time. Epic isn't a real solution for me, because my purchased DLC is on Steam and doesn't carry over.
[b]THE PROBLEM ON STEAM[/b]
Platform: PC (Steam), South Africa. I can join a fireteam, but whenever I try to enter the Tower or any shared activity, the screen goes black for about 15 seconds and I'm returned to orbit with error code CABBAGE. Every time. On the character select screen my characters never fully load: the class cards show only class and race, with no Power level or emblem, and the loading icon never finishes.
I also tested my Steam account on a second PC on the same home network. It fails there the same way, while the other person's Steam account works fine on that PC.
So it isn't my PC or my network. Something is wrong specifically with Destiny 2 launched through my Steam account.
[b]WHAT I'VE ALREADY RULED OUT[/b]
- Router: NAT Open, UPnP working, firewall, filters, DMZ and port triggers checked, and port forwarding tried and removed.
- The two MikroTik switches in my network: plain bridges, no filter rules, no packet errors, all ports at 1 Gbps.
- Windows: fully updated, a clean boot with only Microsoft services, Windows Firewall rules for Destiny and BattlEye, a full reinstall of Destiny and BattlEye, and no VPN or third-party security software.
- Connectivity to Bungie: DNS, HTTPS to bungie.net and TCP to Bungie's services all work. In a packet capture of a failing attempt on Steam, only one of the two Bungie game servers I contact on UDP 3074 ever answers, and the attempt times out after about 31 seconds.
[b]WHAT I'M ASKING[/b]
- Has anyone else seen CABBAGE that only affects one platform (here, Steam) on a PC where the same game works through another launcher?
- Could a Bungie staff member check my Steam platform profile and my Steam DLC entitlements for anything inconsistent? I own a lot of DLC.
- Is there any way for Bungie to reset or refresh a Steam platform profile without losing my characters?
I'm happy to share my Bungie Name, the packet captures and any logs privately if a Bungie staff member asks.
Thank you for reading, and for any help. I just want to get back to playing.
Your role as a moderator enables you immediately ban this user from messaging (bypassing the report queue) if you select a punishment.
7 Day Ban
7 Day Ban
30 Day Ban
Permanent Ban
This site uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By clicking 'Accept', you agree to the policies documented at Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.
Accept
This site uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing to use this site, you agree to the policies documented at Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.
close
Our policies have recently changed. By clicking 'Accept', you agree to the updated policies documented at Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.
Accept
Our policies have recently changed. By continuing to use this site, you agree to the updated policies documented at Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy.