JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
Edited by Talia Sendua: 9/29/2026 1:31:35 PM
8

I don't see future monetization for D2 working with anything other than optional convenience subscription

In many insider reports it was stated that Destiny 1 and 2 were burning a lot of money in development, etc. So what I am saying here has both logical reason but will likely be controversial and upset a lot of people. Keep in mind, I suggested a similar idea already around the Witch Queen era. While I really don't want to encourage more nickle and dimming of players, I think Bungie should consider offering an optional subscription service for small conveniences to compensate for on-going development costs. Why I suggest that? Because the more money Bungie had to extract from us players, the more focus they had to put onto the Eververse. Game Studios, despite making games, are still companies that SELL entertainment experiences. They not only want to off-set investment and ongoing costs but also make profit back. Destiny 2 can never go back to Pay2Play. With the Moments of Triumph, Bungie changed how the Eververse works. Walking that generous update with Bright Dust back will ONLY upset people and shatter any growing goodwill players could bring forth in the future. So the only 2 options are selling expansions at a price tag again AND offering a subscription service for more convenience. When I speak of convenience, I am talking about a few things that are possible. Such as: * More vault space * More post master space * A small sum of Silver each month as part of the Sub * More Inventory space * More Loadout slots Things that are useful but don't provide any measurable benefit beyond personal use. No power being sold, no progress being sold. Pure convenience. And maybe some cosmetic benefits. What such a sub would do is provide a constant avenue of revenue for Bungie that can be used to off-set development costs and potentially bridge expansion and game launches without corrupting the quality of content as we had in the past with the Eververse (for example, the store getting better armor sets than some activities). It could also mean more unlockables go back into activity drops itself, like ships, sparrows, ghost shells, etc. as the Store would likely see less attention due to that optional Subscription. For those people that don't want to pay the Sub, nothing changes. For those people that have more money than they can throw at the screen, there is ways for them to spend it without having benefits that are unfairly breaking the game. Again, I am aware this will be likely controversial. But from a business perspective, I don't see Bungie making money any other way unless they either revert the store changes (which will upset people) or raise expansion prices to 70-100€/$ default. So the optional subscription service is really the path of least resistance and harm for this game to go in regards of monetization.

Posting in language:

 

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

  • Nah, that is where I nope out. I already paid for the expansions and then pay a subscription on top of that to access all features of the game thanks to Sony charging me to play their property online so this game and its masters get enough money out of me.

    Posting in language:

     

    Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

    3 Replies
    • I actually wouldn’t mind this. As long as the game kept meaningful cosmetics and rewards in the gameplay then I would rather pay a subscription for the things you mentioned. I have never had an issue with monetisation or premium passes as long as these do not impact the game design. Perfect examples of where they crossed the line before was the report where developers said they were fold to not make in game rewards too appealing as to not take away from eververse.

      Posting in language:

       

      Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

    • Nah, what actually needs to happen is Bungie rework the game into something more sustainable for them. I genuinely think it would be really really dumb for them to resume anything even remotely like the previous cadence of content. Suggesting the players fork out to support bad management is absolutely bonkers.

      Posting in language:

       

      Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

    • They took all the money we’ve been dumping into destiny and put it into marathon and then told us to kick rocks

      Posting in language:

       

      Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

      1 Reply
      • Nah, I'm not gonna pay for a subscription... I've been playing since D1 & there were several seasons that I didnt buy cuz I wasnt excited about the rewards pass or the "quests" that always ended up being 14 trips to the holo-projector. I'd rather pay $50 for a base campaign, with the option to add other game modes a-la-carte... like $10 more for access to all the dungeons, $10 more for all the raids, $10 more for PvP access, etc... that way I dont have to pay for the stuff I never play.

        Posting in language:

         

        Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

        1 Reply
        • No thanks. The main reason I don't play ESO.

          Posting in language:

           

          Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

        • There was a person who made a post looking for a free copy Destiny 2. I thought that was the most ridiculous post I would ever see. Legit 5 minutes later. I will always be surprised when players ask for any kind of additional transactions. So no, I will not be signing up for Destiny + or Destiny Premium or Destiny Premium +.

          Posting in language:

           

          Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

          10 Replies
          • [quote]For those people that don't want to pay the Sub, nothing changes.[/quote] Unfortunately, any source of income for Bungie affects everyone, because of the way it influences decision making for the whole game. The most obvious example with a monthly sub is it would give Bungie more incentive to drip feed content to keep subscriptions active throughout the year. That affects how content is developed and what type of content it is. Some people might not mind that, but my preference is to have one yearly expansion and really cut down on the filler in between. I want them to focus on quality content and take the time needed to deliver it.

            Posting in language:

             

            Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

            9 Replies
            You are not allowed to view this content.
            ;
            preload icon
            preload icon
            preload icon