I know that BattlEye works on Linux if the developers enable compatibility for it and I think a lot of Guardians (myself included) old and new would appreciate it. I know Linux only makes up like 4% of Steam users, but that's still a lot considering how many active Steam accounts there are.
Not sure if any Guardians will end up reading this post and agree with it, but I hope you all have a nice day or night.
Edit: Some good points were brought up that I didn't think about since this post was mostly just wishful thinking, but I still think the topic should be revisited by Bungie's current leadership at some point in the near future since they also recently revisited their stance on unvaulting old content. I think I'll add some of the points discussed elsewhere in the thread right here since it got a bit lengthy.
1: Bungie could install Steam OS on some of their testing systems and select a version of Proton (the translation layer that allows Windows games to run on Linux) to test things out on internally as a baseline. Linux users can just change what version of Proton they use to match what Bungie tested the game with. We're not asking for a native port of the game since that never goes well at all.
2: Back in 2022 Bungie stated that they wouldn't support Linux for security reasons since it was a bit of an unknown at the time (only around 1% of steam users at most). However, other games that use anti-cheats similar to BattlEye have enabled compatibility for Linux and haven't had any major issues (no significant increase in cheating). The only real problem I foresee here would be how Bungie configures their in house anti-cheat which is what actually would take time to figure out.
3: I know that Linux players aren't a large population compared to how many people are on Windows, but 3.9% of daily active Steam users is roughly 1.2-1.5 million people (depending on time of day) which is pretty close to how many people were using Stadia in 2022-2023 and Destiny 2 was on Stadia despite those low numbers. I just don't see the point in using player counts as an excuse not to look into allowing Linux players to enjoy the game or at least looking into the possibility.
-
5 Replies[quote] I know Linux only makes up like 4% of Steam users, but that's still a lot considering how many active Steam accounts there are.[/quote]Not really. 3.9 percent of steam users play on linux, of them how many would actually play destiny 2, then of them, how many dont already own the content or would pay into the game? 93 percent of Steam is played on Windows and google estimates there are like 200 million steam users, and with that huge number, D2 has only ever had a max concurrent player count of 316,750. That equates to 0.158375% of all Steam windows users. Linux at 4 percent would be 8 million users, applying that same percentage of d2 players from windows would mean that 12,670 would be the potential number of D2 players on linux. That is a tiny sliver of a population to dedicate resources to.
-
2 RepliesThe sad part is the game was on Linux before when it ran on Stadia. There was a bug ask back when stadia died to port them game to Linux form steam deck. I just don’t know how you be able to have 2 versions on steam of a windows and Linux version of the game.
-
2 RepliesIt's more than a flip of a switch.....